When Mrs. Rae and Rose started her blog, I knew it wouldn’t take long for her to ask me to share some of the work I’ve done around the house. Being the fantastic little brother that I am, I just couldn’t resist.
Mrs. BB has been asking for a new bed since the day after we bought our old one. I finally broke down and we upgraded from a queen to a king (the size difference between the two might not seem like much but damn! it’s nice). The size upgrade meant that we were in need of a headboard. Feeling especially handy, I promised to make a new one. I looked online for some plans and settled on this one.
My quest for wood led me to Mrs. BB’s uncle. We’ll call him The Uncle.
He has an old barn full of beams (the only thing better than cheap stuff is free stuff). I settled on 2 different beams: one walnut and one oak.
The Uncle took the beams to a guy down the road who split the beam, cut the boards to size and squared them up. With the help of my friend Big Idaho, we were able to put the headboard together in just a couple of hours.
I spent a considerable amount of time researching the right type of finish to go with.
We really wanted the wood to speak for itself and not look too modern or slick with polyurethane. I ultimately decided on a beeswax based polish.
The finished headboard came out better than I could have ever imagined.
Now the biggest decision I have to make is what do I do with the leftover scraps…